Friday, October 29, 2010

The World’s a Stage by Kathleen Kellow (Jean Plaidy)


It seems Jean Plaidy has surprised me once again!

I’ve been wrapped up in a novel by Ciji Ware titled Wicked Company, which features fictional characters for the most part, but also touts a host of real historical figures. One such is the 18th century actor/playwright/theater manager David Garrick, who is also one of my favorite personalities in the novel. He is kind and understanding of Sophie’s struggles and helps her by encouraging and employing her talents at Drury Lane.

Reviewing some of Plaidy’s older (mostly unavailable) titles, I found that she published a novel based on David Garrick (1960)!

The World’s a Stage: The true story of the eighteenth century British actor David Garrick and his lover, Peg Woffington

I can’t find a description, unfortunately. I think I will start a petition to get all of JP’s older novels reprinted! It’s very discouraging to find gems like this but no way to order them.

4 comments:

  1. If you start a pe4ttion i will sign it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, if you start a petition I'm sure there will be a lot of people signing it. There are more and more people enjoyinj Jean Plaidy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how she kept up with all those pseudonyms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I find that book? I tried Abe's Book's which is usually awesome for old and used/rare books but no luck...any suggestions???

    ReplyDelete